Tuesday, February 25

Accountability: I Need Your Help

Okay, it is time for me to be brutally honest with you guys.


I'm not finishing my work. I'm not doing what needs to be done, and I'm sick and tired of it.

Enough is enough. I always have some reason why I can't write. November and December were insanely busy between deaths in the family, illnesses, birthdays, events, and holidays. January was emotionally draining for numerous reasons, and February has been short, but busy. 

I'm not denying that there is truth to my excuses. The past three months have been crazy. I'm not being hard on myself--I'm being honest. In fact, the next three months are going to be crazy, too. But that excuse no longer works with regards to my writing. I don't have children yet, so it stands to reason that my life will get even busier once I do. What then? Do I give up writing altogether? No, I don't think so. What happens when I have publisher deadlines to meet? I work well under pressure, but that doesn't mean I want my life to turn into a giant ball of stress. I need to figure this out now, before my life becomes more complicated.

So let's look at my writing history a bit. I wrote the majority of Warrior Branded--76, 839 words, to be exact--in two months. That averages out to 1260 words a day for those particular months. When you look at the daily count, it's nothing. The difference is in the fact that I wrote every single day (even if some days weren't as high as others). I was on a roll. I had a strict deadline, and I was going to meet it or die trying.

I need that drive back. I miss it.

Clearly what I've been doing with AHR up to this point has not worked, so I think it is time to involve you guys. My husband and my mother hold me accountable, but I'm pretty good at charming them into compliance (but shh, don't tell them I said that!) You guys, on the other hand, won't be so easy to sway (mainly because I can't bat my lashes at you *winks*).

So here is my goal for the second draft of A Highlander's Ransom. I will be finished by April 1st (and no, it won't be an April Fool's joke...I hope). I can only make loose deadlines after that, since it will depend on my Alpha, CP, and how much work I have to do after they get their hands on it. Once I'm finished, I will post my goals for the next step (hopefully I'll have a better idea by then).

Although I'm at the point in the story where word count isn't important--it's all about getting the important scenes down--I need some way to track my progress for you guys, so here are my figures as they stand right now:

Current Completed Word Count: 55, 702 words
Approximate Length: 100, 000 words

Some of you are probably scratching your heads at my word count. I do have more words than that, obviously, but they are bits and pieces of incomplete scenes, or they are merely notes. Counting only completed chapters, I have 55, 702 words.

Assuming my story hits 100, 000 words (it could be more, but I doubt it will be less), I have 44, 298 to go. With April 1st as my goal, I have exactly 35 days (including today) to reach the finish line. That comes to 1266 words a day, only 6 more a day from my Warrior Branded marathon. I know I can do that, since I've done it before.

I will post weekly updates on Wednesdays to show you guys where I'm at. Hopefully I will have added close to 9000 words when we meet here again.

Wish me luck; I'm going to need it.

*EDIT: I will post on Tuesdays, since that will be one week since I started this endeavor*

21 comments:

  1. Dude. Get to work. :whipcrack: You don't need luck when you have drive, and I've seen you put that awesome drive to work, so no excuses. You want this. You need this. You are going to do this.

    How's that for a pep talk?

    As if I have any room to talk this week (as in the past 7 days), because I've been a toad for the most part. Time for me to get to work, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, which is the worst part! I kicked butt at university--I know I can work under deadlines, but for some reason I struggle with writing.

      Thank you for the pep talk! Loved it =)

      You write a lot all the time. You finished that last draft very quickly ;)

      Delete
  2. Go, go, go!

    If you want, you can join my Facebook group, Write On to Build On. We're a small group that checks in each day with our totals and we provide support. Every 3 months we check in with our totals. For each day we didn't write, we owe $1, which we pay to the charity Build On. It's been keeping other members and me much more productive than we would be otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Wow, that sounds like great motivation. I would love to do that, but I'm concerned that if I don't write I'll have to pay. I'm a poor writer ;) And I'm honest enough with myself to know that I'm going to miss a few days at least =P

      Delete
  3. I'll keep informed of your progresses. If I remember, you did really good in the CHRW sprint challenge in January, so I'm sure you can build on that momentum.
    BTW, I just LOVE your muse...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by!

      Yes, I won the sprint challenge actually, LOL! My problem isn't sprinting. I have no problems there ;) My problem is writing a clean draft at a normal pace.

      Delete
    2. And yes, I wish my Muse was like that ;)

      Delete
  4. You can do this! Now why are you here reading--go write!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! Yes, I know, I know, I'll get to work!

      Delete
  5. You go, girl. 1266 words a day is a realistic, reasonable goal. You can do it!!! *grabs pom poms* Go, Nat, go. Write, Nat,write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? When I did the math, I was shocked. I can totally do this. We will kick butt together =)

      xoxo

      Delete
  6. You can do it! Good Luck and keep us posted :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by!! I hope this helps keep me accountable.

      Delete
  7. Go Natalie Go!! You will do it:) You won the last Celtic Heart competition...Proud of your drive...Jennifer(JC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have no problems sprinting, because that's just spewing words onto the page ;) I don't tend to sprint on my current WIPs because it is a horrible mess to clean up afterwards, LOL!

      Delete
  8. You're an inspiration, Natalie. It's clear your goal is realistic. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! I wanted to find a realistic goal that I could work with. Making some ridiculous goal like one week from now would just be dumb and frustrating! Plus, March is one of the first months where I can actually breathe again, so hopefully this will work =)

      Delete
  9. First of all, finishing a novel in about 2 months is amazing!!! Great job!!! Secondly, holding yourself accountable, making goals, and then letting us guilt you into finishing them is genius! lol. 1266 words a day is very doable. I know you can do this! I just followed you on Twitter. I'm starting a new book in March, so Tweet me if you want to do sprints! We can whip each other into getting those words out! Go, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I looked at it as my job to finish, so I need to get that mindset back. I realized it wasn't working, so I hope having lots of people guilt me into finishing will do the trick, LOL!

      Okay! Sounds good =)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...