Friday, February 7

GO CANADA GO!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S TIME!!!!!!!! The Winter Olympics are back, baby!

Now, if you've read my blog for a while, you know that I am a very patriotic person. I am Canadian, and for a long time it bothered me to move to the USA. Not because I have anything against this country, but because I loved my own country so much. I didn't want to leave Canada, and I most certainly did not want to give up my citizenship (luckily, I won't have to for another few years). In the end, I love both countries for different reasons. But when it comes time for the Olympics, I am Canadian all the way. This will be my first time out of the country during the games so I'm curious to see how it's going to go. Luckily, my parents will be here for part of it, so I will have some support ;)

On a more serious note, I know a lot of people are boycotting the games due to Russia's social policies. I don't discuss my own personal beliefs on this blog (for obvious reasons), but I think this is important and should be said: I believe in equal rights for all, regardless of your skin color or sexual preference. What Russia is doing is wrong, and I hope the Olympic Committee looks into their future sites with greater care from here on out. 

On the other hand, I support my fellow Canadians, and my fellow humans! We are united together. We are stronger together. Do I think Canada or the USA should have backed out of the Olympics to show support to our gay and lesbian athletes? No. It wouldn't have changed a damn thing, and it would have deprived our athletes of the chance to show how wonderful they are. It would have deprived our countries of showing how awesome we are. Plus, how else can you showcase the issues in Russia if you don't have people over there?

On top of that, being gay is barely legal here in the USA. Think of how many States still do not allow gay marriage. Although people aren't being arrested and tortured for their sexual preferences, they aren't allowed the same rights as everyone else. Before people try to correct Russian policies, perhaps the USA should focus on their home turf for once. 

But, I digress. I say we go over there and KICK SOME RUSSIAN ASS!!!!! Show them what a free country looks like, baby!

And now, because I can't help myself, Canadian videos!

GO CANADA GO!!!!!!!




4 comments:

  1. I think Russia sold itself as something it wasn't, and the Olympic committee bought into it. Shame on both of them. But yeah, by boycotting the games now, all people are really doing is not showing support for our athletes. Plus, they're missing out on some really awesome accomplishments. (And the added benefit of seeing our countries with medals and the Russian with none - at least at this point. Tee hee.)

    Go USA! (And Canada. If we can't win something, I definitely want you to win.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on all counts. I just hope this changes how the future sites are chosen. Perhaps a bit more care will go into it. For example, the stadium where they hosted the opening ceremonies is amazing, but they don't have running water in the athlete village, or enough pillows. WTF? Perhaps they thought they could control the media coverage more? Who knows!

      See, I'm the same way. I cheer for Canada first, but if we don't have a shot, I want USA to win next. It's pretty fun to cheer for two countries. I've just doubled my chances ;) Annnnd we're two fierce countries in the Winter Olympics (with a combined total of 451 competitors). I like my odds =D

      Delete
    2. Well said, Nat. I don't understand why Sochi was chosen to host the Games, but I hope all the athletes have an amazing Olympic experience. This event is about people from all races, religions, and politics coming together without prejudice to achieve their dreams. I want nothing but the best for all involved.

      If USA can't wain, I want Canada to medal. That said, I want Canadian skater Patrick Chan to win gold more than the US men. He. Is. Fantastic.

      Delete
    3. Thank you =) I was concerned about posting something so controversial, but I figure if it offends people, they shouldn't be here anyway!

      Exactly. The Olympic Games is about coming together, and unfortunately Russia is trying to exclude a large number of people. There's no way to do anything correctly. If countries withdrew from the games, people would complain. And since we're taking part, people are complaining. No winning!

      Yes he is! I saw Davis and White do their short routine yesterday. I have to say, I didn't like it that much. It was too traditional for me (and wtf was she wearing?!). I LOVED the Canadians who went before them, however. So much attitude, lol. Still, both teams are amazing (and I love how the four of them are training partners!)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...